From: Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [WAY OT] wanna learn networking internals
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 18:51:35
1 On 2 September 2015 at 19:19, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Sorry for such WAY out of topic message, but Gentoo users are also way out
5 > of regular computer users.
6 >
7 > I intend to learn more deep details about networking intrinsics, (packets,
8 > ports, negotiation, UDP, multicast, unicast, TCP, ethernet, DHCP, protocols,
9 > and so on) so I decided to recur to this list. Googling the terms, just
10 > gets me to network administration and equipment interconnection.
11 >
12 > Any hints on web resources for this research?
13 >
14 > Thanks a lot and
15 >
16 > Best Regards,
17 > Francisco
18
19 The "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition"[1] has some chapters about
20 IP, TCP, UDP and DNS.
21
22 If you can read Italian, there's also "a2 - appunti di informatica
23 libera"[2][3].
24
25 I've never been interested in the specific subject, so I don't know
26 about better sources.
27 I'd probably start from Wikipedia :)
28
29 [1] http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz