From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: external SSD problem
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 17:44:00
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > Look at:
5 > > /usr/share/misc/*
6
7 > > to get an idea of the numberings for various
8 > > hardware devices.
9
10 > lsusb shows the following for my SSD:
11 > Bus 004 Device 002: ID 174c:07d1 ASMedia Technology Inc.
12
13 > I updated to hwids-99999999 but 174c:07d1 doesn't match any device in
14 > /usr/share/misc/usb.ids that I can see. Could that be the problem?
15
16 Hard to say. These sort of things are difficult to flush out.
17 You do need to find a dev in this area and make inqueries,
18 and just keep googling..... and digging. Look for a firmware
19 dev that works for the company, or open up a trouble ticket
20 with the company that manufactures the device (if you can find
21 them).
24 > I also noticed these messages in dmesg after removing and reloading
25 > the xhci_hcd module:
26
27 > Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
28
29 > Parent hub missing LPM exit latency info. Power management will be
30 > impacted.
33 This stuff is complicated hooking up SD(hard drives)
34 that are connected via the usb(3) buss. I use to have
35 some usb buss analyzer software, but it was MS based
36 and I do not have access to such fancy commercial software
37 at this time.
38
39 It looks like you've found the error trail. How to fix it,
40 from my experience, is all about using googl until you find
41 somebody with the right knowledge. I'd suggest going to the
42 dev (kernel docs) for that part of the kernel for these things to find
43 somebody qualified to really help you. Somebody to advise
44 you who really knows what's going on. Read the comments
45 for the various parts of the kernel and track down the maintainers
46 or devs.....
49 Sorry I could not be of more help.
50 Good Hunting!
51 James