From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Portage, git and shallow cloning
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 05:34:29
1 I'm not sure if there's a better place to put this, so please feel free to
2 tell me I should report it elsewhere (:
3
4 After the recent GitHub fun, I changed from using the GitHub git source to
5 git://anongit.gentoo.org/repo/sync/gentoo.git, as suggested by some on this
6 mailing list. I completely nuked /usr/portage/* and set off with an `emerge
7 --sync`, which looked like it was going to take ages and clone about a gig.
8 Reading https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage/Sync, I figured there
9 was nothing much I could do about it, since the page speaks of the
10 `sync-depth` config option and states that 1 is "shallow clone, only
11 current state (*default if option is absent*)" (emphasis mine).
12 After multiple failures to clone (other side hangs up after a few minutes
13 -- I only have a 4mbps line, maxing out at around 450Kb/s), I thought I'd
14 try explicitly setting `sync-depth` in my repo config and found:
15
16 1) `sync-depth` has been deprecated (should now use `clone-depth`)
17 2) with the option missing, portage was fetching the entire history --
18 after adding the option (and nuking /usr/portage/* again), a new clone
19 happened in short order, bringing down only around 65Mb (according to git)
20
21 So I'd like to ask how to assist in rectifying the above:
22 1) the docs need to be updated to refer to `clone-depth`
23 2) I believe that the original intent of defaulting to a shallow clone was
24 a good idea -- perhaps that can be investigated. If the intent has changed
25 for some reason, the docs should be updated to reflect the change.
26
27 Thanks
28 -d
31 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
32 If you say that getting the money is the most important thing
33 You will spend your life completely wasting your time
34 You will be doing things you don't like doing
35 In order to go on living
36 That is, to go on doing things you don't like doing
37
38 Which is stupid.
39
40 - Alan Watts
41 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXTZM_uPMY
42
43 *Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur. *