From: foxfell <afoxfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to remove a package from a profile?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:23:32
1 Hi,
2 LMGFY, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-963412-start-0.html
3
4 2017-07-11 15:07 GMT+03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
5
6 > On 11/07/2017 13:51, Ста Деюс wrote:
7 > > Hi.
10 > > Is it possible to remove a package from a profile? -- I try to remove
11 > > absolutely unnecessary to me openssh package from default/linux/x86
12 > > profile that beside each time necessity to compile, just reduces system
13 > > security. So, i did mask it, having created an openssh file
14 > > in /etc/portage/packages.mask dir. Removed already installed package
15 > > from the system and then tried to update the system. -- Openssh is
16 > > enlisted to be compiled/installed among other packages! So, what's the
17 > > recipe here?
20 > > Thank you for your time,
21 > > Sthu.
25 > Yeah, you really don't want to do that.
26 >
27 > virtual/ssh is listed in the base profile, so every Gentoo system on the
28 > planet starts off with it included. It's the server and the client, so
29 > if you don't want the server running, then don't start it (your security
30 > argument doesn't really hold water), and the client is about the second
31 > most useful piece of software there is, up there with compilers and shells
32 >
33 > It's not a big package:
34 > $ equery size openssh
35 > * net-misc/openssh-7.5_p1-r2
36 > Total files : 70
37 > Total size : 5.68 MiB
38 >
39 > Compiles rather quickly too:
40 > $ genlop -t openssh
41 > * net-misc/openssh
42 > Tue Jul 4 04:43:52 2017 >>> net-misc/openssh-7.5_p1-r2
43 > merge time: 53 seconds.
44 >
45 > So I think you are cargo-culting and trying to remove something with
46 > zero understanding of why it is there. But it annoys you
47 >
48 > But if you really want to shoot both feet off at the knees, read on:
49 >
50 > You can't modify a profile, nothing in them is optional. You have to
51 > take an existing profile then extend and modify it. Look at
52 > defaults/linux/x86/* and see how they extend x86.
53 >
54 > The magic line that does what you desire goes in a file called
55 > "packages", look at this example from prefix:
56 >
57 > $ cat ./prefix/linux/packages
58 > # Here we remove packages that default/linux/packages pulls in and have
59 > # no business being in Gentoo Prefix
60 > -*sys-apps/busybox
61 > -*sys-apps/util-linux
64 > --
65 > Alan McKinnon