From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing a package from being updated
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:45:47
1 On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:06:25 +0300, Timur Aydin wrote:
2
3 > I am using the ~x86 (testing) version of gentoo linux. After recent
4 > updates, my X windows became extremely sluggish and I found out that the
5 > problem is related to a new version of mesa (7.8.2 specifically). So I
6 > downgraded to version 7.7.1 and my desktop works great again.
7 >
8 > Now I want to prevent mesa from being updated until this issue is sorted
9 > out upstream. I have looked at package.provide, but that didn't work.
10 > Currently, I have placed media-libs/mesa into my
11 > /etc/portage/package.mask file and this seems to do the trick. Is this
12 > the recommended way for handling this situation?
13
14 package.mask is the right place, but you should add the specific version.
15 Then the system will only upgrade when a newer (hopefully fixed) version
16 arrives.
17
18 =media-libs/mesa-7.8.2
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 WindowError:01B Illegal error. Do NOT get this error.