From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to thin package.provided ?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 02:13:01
1 Hi,
2
3 I want to mark some software as provided from other sources.
4 And want to prevent long comments from emerge and friends about
5 my doing so.
6
7 /etc/portage/profile/package.provided seems to be a good place for
8 that...but according to the documents, one needs to specifiy a version
9 and relational operators are not allowed...which make me think that
10 I have to mention any single version in past, current and future
11 existence to prevent emerge from installing a previous or current
12 version of that software for a longer time.
13
14 Thinking of some packages, which are getting updates very often I
15 see myself writing scripts to populate package.provided with a
16 lot of stuff and scripts to delete obsoleted entries from there.
17
18 If I put those packages into package.mask, emerge comments on
19 every update of the system, that "needed packages are masked".
20
21 Is there any clean way to get out of this?
22
23 Cheers
24 Meino