From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A portage nuisance
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 17:58:42
1 On 28/10/17 15:52, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 14:58:13 +0100 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> > On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:52:54 -0000
4 >> > Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
5 >> >
6 >>> > > I have a problem with emerge for a long time.
7 >>> > > Sometimes I need to (re-)emerge many packages like in an
8 >>> > > emerge --emptytree @world
9 >>> > >
10 >>> > > Because I use several overlays, there are problems with a lot of
11 >>> > > packages.
12 >>> > > Unfortunately, emerge shows me just the first problem (like a missing
13 >>> > > USE-flags) and then terminates.
14 >>> > > Is there any means to let emerge go and report several (all) problems
15 >>> > > which are independent of each other?
16 >> >
17 >> > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going" ?
18 > No, --keep-going allows to continue as long as possible after a
19 > build failure. Helmut asks about dependecies resolution failures,
20 > e.g. in some package REQUIRED_USE is not met, or circular
21 > dependency occurs and so on.
22
23 What I would like - a bit like --keep-going - is some option that tries
24 again.
25
26 When I do an "emerge -u" it sometimes blows up with this massive load of
27 dependency failures. So what I end up doing is emerge a few packages
28 that look like they're going to work, and then try my full update again.
29 After several cycles through this, suddenly everything works.
30
31 So my spec for what I would like is basically, as each package
32 successfully resolves its dependencies, add it to a "try again" list. If
33 the current list blows up in dependency hell, restart the emerge with
34 just the packages in the "try again" list.
35
36 When you haven't updated for a while and you've got a lot of packages,
37 this "emerge what you can" approach certainly seems to work for me, it
38 would just be nice if it was automated because it can take a lot of
39 attempts (and time) before the system finally succeeds in updating itself.
40
41 Cheers,
42 Wol