From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CPU socket and picking a heat sink.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:18:16
1 Hi,
2
3 Doing some research on building me a new rig. I have ran into sort of a
4 hick up. The socket types are confusing me here. This is the mobo that
5 I *might* be getting.
6
7 http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=&prod_no=1856
8
9 If that link don't work, it is a MSI 790XT-G45 mobo.
10
11 I do most of my shopping on newegg and was looking for a CPU heat sink
12 to go on that bad boy. The MSI website says AM2+. When I start to
13 looking on newegg, there are several sockets that have AM2+ in it. My
14 question is, which is which or will any of them fit?
15
16 The CPU I am looking at is a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb
17 3.0GHz and it says it is a AM2+ as well. I assume that will fit the
18 mobo? ;-) It doesn't come with a cooler tho.
19
20 I may end up picking something else for the mobo and CPU but I do want
21 to figure out what the differences are between these socket types and
22 what fits what. Explanations are good and links are good too.
23 Pictures may even be better. lol
24
25 Thanks.
26