From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lazy gcc switching
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:04:12
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 July 2010 10:53:19 fajfusio@××.pl wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi
5 >>
6 >> I've just switched to gcc 4.3.4 from 4.1.2 using gcc-config tool. I don't
7 >> want to rebuild any package now. As time goes on my packages will be
8 >> compiled with new version. I hope that after a few month there will be
9 >> only a number of packages not compiled with a new gcc. Then I want to
10 >> recompile them on demand including libtool if necessary.
11 >>
12 >> Do you think my plan have a chance to succeed.
13 >>
14 > Yes.
15 >
16 > Why do you think you would even need to get into a long compile? Have you been
17 > reading that GCC Upgrade Guide at gentoo.org? You know, the one that is so
18 > flat out wrong on so many levels?
22 I recently upgraded my gcc and I must confess, I did do a emerge -e
23 system. Is it needed, nope.
24
25 OP, Alan is correct on this. You don't really need to re-emerge
26 everything. If, like me, you want to be on the safe side, just do a
27 emerge -e system and let the rest recompile as you update.
28
29 Another good thing about this way, if this version of gcc causes you
30 trouble, you can downgrade and only have to re-emerge system. ;-) I
31 did upgrade gcc once and had serious issues with it. Wouldn't compile a
32 kernel, programs crashing and other weird things. After a downgrade,
33 all went back to normal. The only thing worse than a emerge -e world is
34 having to do it twice. LOL
35
36 Dale
37