From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups and snapshots [Was: Organising btrfs subvolumes]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 10:03:26
1 On Tuesday 27 May 2014 11:32:22 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > Does anyone know how these will handle (and perform) with a possible 300+
4 > > snapshots per filesystem (or volume, as I think it's called)?
5 >
6 > I can't speak for zfs. I had upwards of 1000 snapshots on my system
7 > before I stopped creating them hourly and and just started having
8 > issues with it.
9
10 Ok, it can handle my backup schedule then. :)
11
12 > I wouldn't really say it is ready for prime time, but it is workable.
13 > Of course, you'll still want backups - a million snapshots does you no
14 > good if some bug wipes out your filesystem. For one of my ENOSPC
15 > incidents I ended up just wiping the entire filesystem and restoring
16 > from backup, though if I kept at it I'd probably have been able to fix
17 > it.
18
19 Agreed, this is why the backup system would be adjusted for BTRFS on the
20 fileserver, when I get round to it. I would probably keep snapshots active for
21 the past 2 weeks.
22
23 > Oh, one other tip if you use btrfs - be sure you have a rescue disk
24 > that supports it. Hint, the old Gentoo install CD I had lying around
25 > didn't. You'll probably want to keep a rescue CD with a recent kernel
26 > and btrfs-tools handy at all times.
27
28 Always important. I just saw the other email which states that the latest
29 sysresccd supports it. That is fine for me.
32 Joost