From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (OT) Hotplug SATA drive?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:14:00
1 On 1/22/07, Anthony E. Caudel <acaudel@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I recently bought a third SATA drive and a carrier and am trying to
3 > determine if it can be un/plugged while hot. I have googled and there
4 > seems to be different answers depending on the controller, the drive,
5 > the kernel version (I'm using 2.6.18) and maybe even the day of the week.
6 >
7 > Does anyone have any answers or can point me to a place with some
8 > definitive answers?
9 >
10 > Tony
11 > --
12 > Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
13 > Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
14 > -- Benjamin Franklin
15 > --
16 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
20 I am using a Silicon Image SATA Add-in PCI card, and also have VIA
21 Onboard SATA. Both seem to support SATA HOTSWAP in linux, as long as
22 the device is properly freed from things accessing them. Kernel 2.6.18
23 might be the deal clincher, but so might be turning on full APIC
24 support, wich for somereason seemed related.
25
26 As far as udev is concered with sata as far as I can tell, SATA drives
27 will act just like a USB key :)
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list