From: Luk van den Borne <luktheluckyboy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I make dhcpcd run in background when trying to get an ip address?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:01:34
1 Maybe you should have a look at ifplugd. It will background the networking
2 part and bring up those interfaces that are actually plugged in.
3
4 Luk van den Borne
5
6 On 9/25/05, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
7 >
8 > On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 20:52 -0700, michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
9 > > I have a computer with both a wired and wireless network card. At home I
10 > > use the wired connection, but when out I use the wireless.
11 > [snip]
12 > > Is there some way I can have dhcpcd to run in the background, and to
13 > > provide an IP address to my interface when it gets a response from the
14 > > server? I seem to remember busybox had script that did this; is there a
15 > > general solution?
16 >
17 > The first thing that comes to mind is to set
18 > RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"
19 > in /etc/conf.d/rc
20 >
21 > However, lots of things rely on the net.* scripts before they start.
22 > Have a look at the output of
23 > `egrep need.*net /etc/init.d/*`
24 > and you'll see every service that will wait for your network script to
25 > start (which means waiting for a dhcp response)
26 >
27 > The second thing that came to my mind, and this would probably rely on
28 > you only getting a dhcp for the wireless, and not the wired lan, would
29 > be to "roll your own" /etc/init.d/net.eth1 script. Make it exactly the
30 > same as /etc/init.d/net.lo, but in the depend() function, add something
31 > like "provide mywireless". This, coupled with parallel startup, should
32 > mean that no other init script will require your net.eth1 connection and
33 > it can take time without holding other scripts up.
34 >
35 > I've never tried this idea, so it could be fundamentally flawed, but its
36 > just a thought!
37 >
38 > HTH,
39 > --