From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Verification of audio CD copy?
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 03:52:04
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Hi,
8 >>> I've got a bit of a problem recently with (I think) k3b. Over the
9 >>> last couple of months *some* copies of CDs made in k3b using the Clone
10 >>> Copy feature do not reliably play in my car's CD player. I've tried
11 >>> multiple CD spindles and I've tried burning the copies on two
12 >>> different Gentoo machines - one 32-bit and the other 64-bit - with the
13 >>> same results. The thing that is VERY strange about this problem is
14 >>> that some CDs and all copies of those CDs play fine. For other CDs the
15 >>> originals play fine but every copy I make fails, and if they fail,
16 >>> they fail using either Gentoo machine to copy them. (Hope that's
17 >>> clear....)
18 >>>
19 >>> I'm wondering if there is a program that can verify the contents of
20 >>> each CD against each other, bit for bit, to identify whether this is a
21 >>> problem on all of my computers or whether it's something about my
22 >>> car's CD. The strange thing is that the original CDs play fine in the
23 >>> car. It's only the copies that sometimes don't, and it's only the
24 >>> copies of *some* CDs, not all CDs.
25 >>>
26 >>> I've been using these same machine and same car CD player for years
27 >>> and everything has always been fine. Now for the last 2-3 months
28 >>> nearly 50% of what I copy fails.
29 >>>
30 >> I don't think there's a way to do bit-for-bit compare of audio CDs...
31 >> if it's a burning issue I would try burning at a slower speed (as slow
32 >> as you can tolerate waiting for).
33 >>
34 >> Maybe your car's CD player/laser is dying. Perhaps try taking some old
35 >> CDs that you know used to work and see if they still play okay. The CD
36 >> player in my car for the past month or so has decided to be unable to
37 >> play a CD without skipping like crazy. It is maddening.
41 > Reading around on the web I got pretty much the same picture - that
42 > it's not possible to verify 100% bit-for-bit that an audio CD is
43 > identical. Still, I would think that if I made whatever the 'iso' is
44 > of a single CD twice and compared the two of those I'd expect them to
45 > be the same, but maybe we cannot really guarantee the burning
46 > operation is exactly bit-for-bit. I don't know.
47 >
48 > It likely is the car's CD player but it's been hard to prove so far.
49 > It plays all originals fine. It plays most copies fine. However it
50 > fails on all copies of certain CD lately no matter what Gentoo machine
51 > I burn them on. Strangeness.
52 >
53 > Thanks for answering back!
54 >
55 > - Mark
60 Could it be some copy protection thing that is new maybe? Something k3b
61 can't quite copy.
62
63 Dale
64