From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another hardware thread
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 02:09:40
1 On Nov 12, 2011 7:58 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > It's time for a new desktop, I'd rather the the money to Amazon or Ebuyer
4 > than the Inland Revenue. I'm currently running a Core2Duo system, but use
5 > AMD before that, so I have no real allegiances.
6 >
7 > I was thinking of something like an AMD 1100T 6 core CPU, the new
8 > Bulldozers are expensive and initial reports are not that promising, but
9 > an Intel that gives the same bang per buck would do. I'm thinking
10 > Gigabyte for motherboard, based on comments made here in similar threads
11 > (like the one Dale started a while ago). I need lots of SATA ports
12 > (fortunately, I bought a pair of 2TB drives a fortnight ago, just before
13 > the prices went ballistic).
14 >
15 > I'm not a gamer, but I want a system with plenty of grunt. Video
16 > performance is not critical, on board would suffice, except I need
17 > something with dual output to drive two monitors. Do any of the onboard
18 > jobbies do this or is a separate Nvidia still the best option?
19 >
20
21 AFAIK onboards very rarely have support for dual monitor. Besides, having a
22 separate somewhat-beefier GPU might be usable in some cases. For instance,
23 Ubuntu's Unity and Windows' Aero both rely on GPU to do their eye candy
24 stuff.
25
26 C'mon, don't be stingy... spare one PCIe slot for a graphic card :-)
27
28 > Thoughts would be welcome, and please feel free to start your own ATI vs
29 > Nvidia and AMD vs Intel flamewars. OK, I'd rather you didn't, but I'm not
30 > about to waste electrons asking for the impossible :)
31 >
32
33 Honestly, I hate Intel for their tendency to confuse people with their CPU
34 features (e.g., I must be doubly sure if a new processor supports VT-x).
35 But then again, AMD still has no answer for Intel's *Bridge juggernaut.
36
37 Horrible times :-(
38
39 Rgds,