From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev-197 : 4 show-stoppers
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 07:41:39
1 On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 14:10:45 -0600
2 »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:45:33 +0200
5 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > [about udev and CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y]
8 > > A news item about this is coming down the wire very soon now (aka
9 > > within hours judging by the thread on -dev).
10 >
11 > It's there now. Among other things, it mentions checking the /dev
12 > entry in fstab, if there is one. I don't have one, but I'm curious.
13 > Is it the udev-mount service in my default runlevel that makes it
14 > unnecessary to have /dev in fstab? Also, what would be the reasons
15 > for adding a /dev entry?
16
17 yes it's udev-mount:
18
19 if ! grep -qs devtmpfs /proc/filesystems; then
20 eerror "CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y is required in your kernel
21 configuration" eerror "for this version of udev to run
22 successfully." eerror "This requires immediate attention."
23 if ! mountinfo -q /dev; then
24 mount -n -t tmpfs dev /dev
25 busybox mdev -s
26 mkdir /dev/pts
27 fi
30 I don't see any good reason whatsoever to add /dev to fstab, unless you
31 want to change the default mount options for some reason
34 > > Unfortunately, it's too late for you now but at least many other
35 > > users will see the message before they emerge world and save them
36 > > some pain
37 >
38 > Yeah. I use elogv to look at anything with warnings or errors after
39 > an emerge, and I can't explain how I overlooked the bright red notice
40 > this time.
41 >
42 > Normally, I follow this group and know what has come up for people
43 > running ~arch (or if I don't *know*, I at least remember there's to
44 > keep my eyes open for). But I've given up on following udev threads
45 > here, which tend to get pretty noisy.
46 >
47 > Of course there's no substitute for paying attention, but it's nice to
48 > get a news item, even nicer if it comes before things hit stable.
49
50 :-)
51
52 I seem to have lost my virtual consoles recently, courtesy of
53 udev-197 :-(
54
55 Haven't figured out why yet, I suppose I'll have to read all those
56 noisy udev threads again
62 Alan McKinnon
63 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com