From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Need to turn on wireless
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 01:18:12
1 Hi all,
2 I haven't used built-in wireless on Linux in years but come
3 Thursday I'll likely have to spend 12 or more hours waiting around in
4 a hospital so I'm making an attempt to get it working.
5
6 Can someone point me at instructions oriented toward sitting down
7 in a place like Starbucks on a public network and gaining basic
8 connectivity? Everything I'm finding is based on running a properly
9 secure network which I suspect isn't what one uses in a public place.
10 Am I correct in this?
11
12 The hardware is Atheros:
13
14 slinky ~ # lspci | grep Atheros
15 03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285
16 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
17 slinky ~ #
18
19 so I'm building into my kernel anything that looks reasonably likely
20 to be used. I didn't find anything for this specific chip though.
21
22 What sort of apps are available to discover a public network ESSID?
23 Something GUI based would be appreciated if it's in portage.
26 Thanks in advance for any help.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Mark