From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Cdrtools installation without suid root
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:23:05
1 On 29/04/13 16:09, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>> But please first explain what "option" you are talking about.
5 >>
6 >> An option to forcibly enable and disable support. If enabled, the build
7 >> system assumes the library is there. If disabled, it assumes the
8 >> library is not there (even if it is). If not given at all, do
9 >> autodetection.
10 >
11 > This may be an option for things that really are optional.
12 >
13 > Libcap however is not something optional but needed to support a basic security
14 > feature.
15
16 I thought it is optional, since it was mentioned that cdrtools can be
17 built and ran without it?
18
19 Unless you mean "recommended" instead of "required." "Recommended"
20 means it's still optional.
23 >> One thing I've learned in software development is that "the user knows
24 >> best." If the user has the library installed, he should still be able
25 >> to tell you "yes, I have that lib, but I don't want you to use it", and
26 >> vice versa.
27 >
28 > As mentioned above, we are talking about a library to support basic security
29 > features, so the code from that library would really belong into libc. Since
30 > Linux now by default supports fcaps in the filesystems, cdrecord would open
31 > a security hole if the library was not used - without that library, cdrecord
32 > cannot even see that is has been called with additional privileges that need
33 > to be removed before the main code is executed.
34 >
35 > Do you really like to go into a security risk with your eyes open?
36
37 You don't know what my intentions are. I might be doing testing,
38 debugging, who knows what. It's the "trying to be smarter than the
39 user" thing. The defaults of course would be to built the software in a
40 sane, secure way. Only users who know what they're doing would disable
41 that, and they'd have their reasons.