From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Duplicate USE flags
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 16:25:20
1 On Wednesday 06 Jul 2016 12:11:02 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > > On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 > > >> Hello list,
4 > > >>
5 > > >> Can anyone tell me why we have two USE flags for the same thing?
6 > > >> Geoloc and geolocation both switch on geolocation but in different
7 > > >> packages.
8 >
9 > Would you believe 4 flags? geolocation/geoip/geoipv2/geoloc
10
11 <Boggle...>
12
13 > On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 11:05:54AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
14 >
15 > > Just to add one note, this happens fairly often, and when people
16 > > notice we generally fix it. New USE flags pop up all the time,
17 > > because new ideas in software come up all the time...
18 >
19 > [i3][waltdnes][~] grep ":geoi\|:geol" /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
20 >
21 > dev-qt/qtwebengine:geolocation - Enable physical position determination via
22 > dev-qt/qtpositioning dev-qt/qtwebkit:geolocation - Enable physical position
23 > determination via dev-qt/qtpositioning
24 > kde-plasma/plasma-workspace:geolocation - Enables dataengine providing
25 > location information media-gfx/kphotoalbum:geolocation - Add support for
26 > kde-apps/marble net-analyzer/bro:geoip - Enable support for Maxmind's GeoIP
27 > library net-analyzer/pmacct:geoipv2 - Add support for GeoIP2 through
28 > dev-libs/libmaxminddb net-im/empathy:geoloc - Enable geolocation support
29 > through app-misc/geoclue net-irc/inspircd:geoip - Add geoip support for
30 > country and city lookup based on IPs net-libs/webkit-gtk:geoloc - Enable
31 > geolocation support through app-misc/geoclue www-apache/mod_security:geoip
32 > - Configure ModSecurity to query the GeoIP database from MaxMind, provided
33 > by dev-libs/geoip. This flag only controls the default configuration, as
34 > the GeoIP query code is part of ModSecurity's source code.
35 >
36 > Maybe they should be consolidated into one global flag, and moved out
37 > of use.local.desc into use.desc.
38
39 Well, you could always suggest that in the bug report...
42 Rgds
43 Peter