From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] 3D graphics acceleration on QEMU
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 15:20:43
1 I launched a Linux Mint liveDVD in QEMU like so:
2
3 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -enable-kvm -drive
4 if=virtio,file=Mint_18.2_HDA.qcow2,cache=none -cdrom linuxmint-18.2-
5 cinnamon-64bit.iso
6
7 and noticed a warning popping up informing me Cinnamon is running without
8 video hardware acceleration available and everything will be rendered in
9 software.
10
11 I've had a similar experience when running Cinnamon on VirtualBox on a quite
12 old 32bit desktop, but thought this i7 laptop + QEMU may fair better.
13
14 Another annoying thing was the bottom of the screen was cropped off and to see
15 the main menu and toolbar I have to move the mouse past the bottom edge of the
16 window. The visual aperture is smaller than the desktop screen size. I don't
17 know if this in anyway related to the above warning.
18
19 Anyway, is there a setting I could enable to have hardware acceleration on
20 QEMU, or have I come across a hardware limitation of this laptop? Grateful
21 for any pointers.
22 --
23 Regards,
24 Mick