From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kgamma 4.6.3 fails prepare phase
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 23:03:04
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:46 on Monday 09 May 2011, Peter Humphrey
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Sunday 08 May 2011 23:02:16 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 00:14 on Monday 09 May 2011, john did
6 > > opine
7 > >
8 > > thusly:
9 > > > Great widgets. Not sure what a Molar Mass Calculator does? Perhaps
10 > > > weighs your teeth??
11 > > :
12 > > :-)
13 > >
14 > > "Molar" as in the adjective describing "mole" as in "quantity of matter"
15 > > as in "some gigantic number of identical atoms (or maybe it's
16 > > molecules)". It's a very useful measure of "some quantity of stuff".
17 > >
18 > > IIRC the gigantic number is Avogadro's number, on the order of 10^124. So
19 > > one mole of hydrogen would be the amount of hydrogen containing that
20 > > number of hydrogen atoms (or maybe it's molecules. Whatever.)
21 >
22 > Here's a quotation from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28unit%29:
23 >
24 > "The mole is defined as the amount of substance that contains as many
25 > elementary entities (e.g., atoms, molecules, ions, electrons) as there are
26 > atoms in 12 g of the isotope carbon-12 (12C).[1] Thus, by definition, one
27 > mole of pure 12C has a mass of exactly 12 g." (I don't know how those
28 > super- and subscript numbers will appear in e-mail.)
29 >
30 > You just knew you were setting yourself up, didn't you? :)
31
32 It's near midnight on a Sunday and I'm knackered after a weekend of being
33 father to 2 nine-year old girls - I hadn't even begun thinking it that far
34 through :-)
35
36 I just knew I was being uber-lazy and expected someone else to do the heavy
37 lifting of looking up the reference.
38
39 You just knew I was I was being a lazy old fart, didn't you?
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com