From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] "Copying" between hard drives potential newbie question ----- > Disk image post
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:41:11
4 > From:: "Michael W. Holdeman" <lists@××××.org>
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Copying" between hard drives potential newbie question ----- > Disk image post
7 > Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:26:26 -0400
8
9 > <<clip>>
10 > >
11 > > Can/has anyone used a 12V lead acid car battery as a UPS for their box?
12 > > I've got a spare one in the garage and the thought has crossed my mind .
13
14 > Mick,
15 > It can be done but is slightly more involved than just plugging in teh car
16 > bat. I have 3 deepcycle batts, set up for my FD base radio and 1 server using
17 > a 12V inverter and a trickle charger and just running the power through the
18 > inverter and batt all the time, that way I did not have to set up s a
19 > switching mechanism that would switch it over. It works well as long as you
20 > get a good inverter and one that is sized correctly for your power
21 > requirements.
22 >
23 > Mike
24
25 I see, I had in mind some sort of a splitter for the different DC voltages required by the computer, which would be fed directly from the battery. The battery itself would of course be on-line charged all the time via some sort of an intelligent charger to ensure that it's trickle charged under normal load and boosted when the voltage drops. Of course all this adds complexity which unlike your set up would add to the cost. On the other hand having an inverter adds both cost and inefficiencies - have you any idea how much more kw you consume in your set up?
26
27 Also before I get the calculator out would you like to guess from your experience how long a 45Ah battery could keep a PC going in the event of a black out?
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick
31