From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:19:16
1 On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
5 >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>  wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>
8 >>> On Wednesday 15 December 2010 05:54:40 Dale wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>> According to the mobo manual, if I enable AHCI, it is hot swappable.
13 >>>>
14 >>>
15 >>> and enabling AHCI is the only sane option. So do it.
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>>>
19 >>>> I
20 >>>> just ain't to comfy doing it.  I'd like to see it done with no smoke
21 >>>> getting out first.
22 >>>>
23 >>>
24 >>> no smoke. Worst case: controller hangs, you have to reboot.
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >>>
28 >>
29 >> The worst case is _slightly_ worse than that, but certainly no smoke.
30 >> Some systems (my 6 drive RAID compute server for instance) changes
31 >> drive mapping between AHCI and compatibility modes so I had to adjust
32 >> /etc/fstab. If Dale is using labels of some type he will likely be
33 >> better off than I was.
34 >>
35 >> There certainly won't be any harm caused by changing the BIOS setting
36 >> to AHCI and trying it out. Reboot and change BIOS back is all he would
37 >> have to do in my experience.
38 >>
39 >> - Mark
43 > Are the drives any faster when using AHCI tho?  If the speed is the same
44 > then I may try it next time I reboot but not real sure why it would matter.
45 >  I was hoping for something even faster.
46 >
47 > Dale
48
49 I suspect they might be faster but you'd have to benchmark them
50 yourself to find out. I never did that or don't remember the results
51 if I did.
52
53 - Mark