From: Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems with the GLI on the x86 2006.0 LiveCD
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 13:14:25
1 Hi List-
2
3 Some hardware issue requires me to boot the subject CD with either the
4 "nodetect" or "nohotplug" parameters. Without one of these, the boot
5 process hangs when detecting pnp hardware. I suspect that the cause may
6 be one of the two Digium PCI cards that I have in the machine, but not sure.
7
8 So I'm booting the LiveCD at the grub prompt with this command:
9
10 gentoo-nofb nohotplug
11
12 Happily, in spite of this, my NIC is being detected and the correct
13 (tulip) module is being loaded for it automatically.
14
15 However, the curses-based GLI is failing on me constantly at the stage
16 where I manually configure the NIC.
17
18 I've tried this many times, and every time, the installer program fails
19 with the words:
20
21 "The setup program seems to have failed"
22
23 That's all I get.
24
25 I've also tried setting up the network manually by editing
26 /etc/conf.d/net and starting up the network, then starting sshd, then
27 remotely logging into the box and running the installer that way. That
28 method gets me past the network config part of the GLI, but I've found
29 that the installer crashes at various other points also: when I try to
30 save the XML profile and a few other points that I've just learned to
31 try and avoid as I walk through the installer steps.
32
33 But I'm at the point now where I've run the installer 15 or 20 times and
34 every time it ends the same way, with the error message above.
35 Sometimes it ends this way at the network config step, other times it
36 ends this way at other steps, but it always crashes. Plus, I can't find
37 anywhere in the script that it allows me to set mountpoints for the
38 partitions that I've created.
39
40 Is anyone else seeing this and can anyone recommend a work-around? I'd
41 be happy to share my dmesg output or any other details if someone thinks
42 it would help improve the installer program.
43
44 Since the 2006.0 handbook assumes that I'm installing with the GLI, it
45 seems that my only other option for installing is with the minimal CD
46 and the general installation handbook. If anyone has other ideas on how
47 to install from one of the 2006 series of CDs, I'd very much appreciate
48 learning of them.
49
50 TIA for any suggestions.
51