From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge -v portage performs sneak attack on emacs-cvs
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 10:15:53
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> writes:
2
3 > On Friday 01 June 2007 02:55:41 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 >> The subject line is half joke... but I just did an sync and then
5 >> emerged portage as suggested. After the emerge of portage, emerge
6 >> process went on and uninstaqlled a couple of versions of emacs-cvs.
9 [...]
10
11 > This happens when you have more than one version of a package in the same SLOT
12 > which means your system was in an illegal state. It should have left one
13 > version still in that SLOT (namely the one with the highest COUNTER which is
14 > the one that was emerged last and thus it's files won't have been removed).
15
16 Ok... I see. But it seems there should be some indication of what is
17 going to happen. Maybe a higher verbosity level would have revealed
18 what was about to happen?
19
20 I don't understand how the `illegal state' happened.. Does the fact
21 that I'd just run `emerge sync' have bearing on what happened or would
22 any emerge command have provoked the uninstall of earlier versions of
23 emacs-cvs?
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list