From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:48:17
On 4/2/2012 11:12 PM, Dale wrote:
> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote: > >> Actually, the initramfs finished without a single error: between >> >> [ 1.962007] dracut: + source_conf /etc/conf.d >> >> and >> >> [ 2.395576] dracut: Switching root >> >> there is not a single error. The initramfs did what it needed to do; >> the user space failed *after* initramfs switched root. >> >> Did you recreated the initramfs after the kernel recompilation? 1st >> rule of non-trivial initramfs: you need to recreate it everytime you >> change kernels. >> >> Which partition is the LVM one? /home or /data? Either way, either >> partition should not matter to boot the system correctly. We need to >> see the errors *after* the initramfs switched root; maybe you can >> delete /var/log/messages, reboot, and post it? >> >> Regards. > > > So the init thingy is going to print all that stuff each time? Or is > that the debug stuff you had me add to the grub line? Please say it is > so. It's one reason I checked my email. I was counting and realized > the debug stuff that was added may haver done all that. Taking a deep > breath helped tho. ;-) I still want my hands on that neck tho. lol
It was the debug stuff; every line that look like "dracut: + stuff here" was debugging information; AFAICT dracut mounted /dev/sda3 as root then it mounted the two other partitions it found. But this could be a problem (from your other email): root@fireball / # dracut -H -f /boot/init-thingy E: Dracut module "lvm" cannot be found. E: Dracut module "lvm" cannot be found. dracut couldn't find it's lvm module, even though your USE flags are set correctly. Can you try re-emerging dracut with its current USE flags? You should have a folder in /usr/lib/dracut/modules named 'lvm' that has a '' script in it, plus probably some other support files, if everything got installed correctly. --Mike