From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 08:38:25
1 On Fri, 4 May 2012 03:37:05 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > In my completely uninformed guess... a) tmpfs automatically 'cleans
4 > > up' every reboot, making sure old folders aren't sitting around stale
5 > > even if something did go wrong, and/or b) it's guaranteed writable for
6 > > the service that needs to make those mount points. I could probably
7 > > come up with a 'c', but I'd likely have to actually do a bit of
8 > > reading on the topic before rising looking even more foolishly un-read
9 > > on the topic than I already do! :-P
12 > Here you go, one time c):
13 >
14 > /run can be guaranteed to exist immediately after / is mounted, which
15 > fixes a whole slew of really horrible problems if it isn't.
16
17 But it cannot be guaranteed that / is mounted rw at this time, so /run o
18 tmpfs makes sense from that perspective. However, it is an illogical place
19 to mount removable devices, whereas the function of /media is immediately
20 obvious from its name. The link given indicates that systemd was already
21 mounting /media as a tmpfs, is it really worth switching to an
22 unintuitive location for the mountpoints just to save one tmpfs which
23 uses so little resources?
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
30 ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.