From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 20:53:07
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 1:10 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I'm back to my old kernel tho since my nvidia-drivers won't work with a
4 >> kernel that high. I run into this on rare occasions.
5 > They are only rare because you aren't updating regularly.
6 >
7 > If you want to run external kernel modules like nvidia-drivers or zfs,
8 > stick to a longterm kernel. The ABI changes all the time, and so
9 > there will frequently be stable kernel version changes that break
10 > nvidia-drivers. Then there will be a lag before nvidia-drivers
11 > supports the new stable kernel. In the meantime you can't run the
12 > latest version, and that can mean security issues.
13 >
14 > The longterm kernels rarely break nvidia-drivers and get all the
15 > security and other fixes. They just don't get new features.
18 Well, I was calling how often this has happened since around 2003 or so
19 when I started using Linux.  I think this has happened maybe two or
20 three times.  While they always say they don't support above a certain
21 version, usually it just works.  This time, not so much.
22
23 I did build a 5.19 version tho.  I haven't rebooted yet tho.  May be a
24 while.  o_O
25
26 Dale
27