From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is it that hard to add a package, or am I doing wrong?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 15:42:41
1 On 12/20/18 10:25 AM, YUE Daian wrote:
2 >
3 > Did anyone ever considered using GitLab?
4 > Its community edition is quiet enough I think.
7 Yes, but there's a small problem: we would need to run our own instance
8 of Gitlab to prevent some of the same problems that exist with Github
9 (like losing all of our data if they go out of business).
10
11 The "run your own" version of Gitlab is a bit of a nightmare, being
12 built with Ruby on Rails. It has a million dependencies, many of which
13 are hard to package because rubygems/bundler are awful and encourage
14 worst practices. Gitlab upstream expects you to run a version that
15 bundles everything it uses.
16
17 What's the security strategy for something with a million bundled
18 libraries? There is none, which makes following their advice pretty
19 irresponsible, too.
20
21 For all its flaws, BugZilla is pretty stable software that uses stable
22 libraries in an ecosystem inhabited by adults. Our infra team are all
23 volunteers, too -- so we need an alternative that isn't way more work
24 for them to run.