From: vsnsdualce@××××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: ubuntu-users@××××××××××××.com, debian-user@××××××××××××.org, dng@××××××××××.org, mail@×××××××××××××××.uk
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why is no one discussing this anymore?
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 16:58:18
1 > Real name pls, if want to be taken somewhat serious? Thank you.
2 So where my logic cannot be attacked, my person may be instead?
3 Do you think me a fool, simply because you do not know what you do not
4 know (the law), yet think you do (an attribute of many programmers: know
5 one field, know them all!)?
6
7 I've explained the law again and again.
8
9 But here it goes:
10
11 Under the copyright statute, copyrighted works are alienable in all the
12 ways property is.
13 You can sell, transfer, and license etc.
14
15 Copyright comes into existence the moment your work is placed in a fix
16 form. The copyright is owned by the progenitor (you the programmer)
17 until such time as you transfer it (ex: to an employee by way of
18 employment agreement stating such terms), or you die (now your
19 descendants own the rights), or you or your descendants elect to use the
20 "claw-back" provisions in the US copyright act some decades after the
21 work was fixed.
22
23 You, both BSD programmers, and Linux kernel programmers have elected to
24 neither sell nor transfer in other ways your copyrights.
25 Instead you have chosen to license your works.
26
27 A license is a temporary grant.
28 Under property law it can be rescinded when the property owner wishes to
29 do so.
30
31 Unless, the property owner has been payed to forgo that right.
32 That is: if the property owner has been payed by the licensee to promise
33 that he will not rescind the license,
34 then if the property owner elects to rescind the license the court may
35 estop the property owner from doing so
36 because the licensee has payed the owner FOR that right.
37
38 Equivalent exchange, if you will. (But the court does not look to if the
39 consideration was... equivalent, just that there was an exchange of some
40 consideration (read: money, goods, services) and a meeting of the minds
41 (both parties ment to do this))
42
43 In the case of most linux and BSD licensees nothing has been payed by
44 them to the programmers(you the copyright holders) to induce a
45 forbearance of the underlying rights of the property owners.
46
47 Thus the original default rights still stand.
48 You can rescind at will.
49
50 Additionally, you have never promised that you would forego the
51 utilization of your property rights,
52 so there is no promise anyone could reasonably rely upon to estop you
53 from utilizing said rights.
54 Additionally, Licensee "E" did not pay you for that non-existent promise
55 either.
56
57 You are not bound. You may rescind.
58
59 You now know why the FSF requires programmers to assign all copyrights
60 to it.
61 You now know why Eben Moglen remains silent these last two months. I am
62 correct, yes I am a lawyer, and yes anything he speaks further would
63 simply show the weaknesses in his (magnanimously) taken position in
64 trying to fool the Programmers into thinking they have forfeited rights
65 they have not.
66