From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to know when a package is due to go stable?
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:15:01
1 James Homuth wrote:
2 > There are several packages that were thrown around on the list, or versions
3 > of packages, that I've come across that I figure I might want to take an
4 > active interest in. However, to avoid sending my boxes into a tailspin, I'm
5 > staying away from installing the still in development versions.
6
7 in development according to whom?
8
9 > What I'd
10 > like to know though is if there's some means of knowing if/when, as an
11 > example, a newer version of Portage is supposed to be considered stable.
12
13 So long as you have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=x86 (or any arch, but not ~arch)
14 then it's gentoo stable. Generally this means no (or insignificant)
15 bugs for about 30 days, and no unstable / masked deps.
16
17 Note this has nothing to do with upstream stable, which is defined by
18 upstream.
19
20 Given the keywords above, if you can install it, it's considered stable!
21
22 > If
23 > not then I can always keep an eye on the relevant RSS feeds, but it was
24 > mostly just curiosity on my part. Thanks either way.
25
26 worthwhile for getting juicy info like --keep-going but otherwise not
27 really necessary.
32 Alea iacta est.
33 [The die is cast]
34 -- Gaius Julius Caesar