From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild is giving me fits
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:02:45
1 Dale schreef:
2 > Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >> Did you re-emerge gentoo-sources after removing the "doc" USE flag?
21 > Yup, I sure did.
22 >
23 >> What is the format of the relevant entry in
24 >> /etc/portage/package.use?
25 >>
26 >> If it does not look like this
27 >>
28 >> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources -doc
31 > Mine looks like this: O_O
34 >> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources -doc
35
36 OK, that eliminates that possibility; it must be something else, then.
37 >
38 >> Also, try
39 >>
40 >> emerge -uDNptv world
41 >>
42 >> emerge --update --deep --newuse --pretend --tree --verbose
43 >>
44 >> (with --tree being the important change)
45 >>
46 >> to see what packages are requiring xmlto. We're just guessing that
47 >> it's gentoo-sources, really; maybe it's not.
51 >> root@smoker / # emerge -uDNptv world
52 >>
53 >> These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
54 >>
55 >> Calculating world dependencies ...done! [nomerge ]
56 >> sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.12.5 -build +doc -symlink [ebuild N
57 >> ] app-text/xmlto-0.0.18 0 kB
58 >>
59 >> Total size of downloads: 0 kB root@smoker / #
62 And so, in fact, it is something else. Or something more, that we didn't
63 know about.
64
65 Do you use/need vanilla-sources? If not, then you might consider
66 unmerging it, so it does not appear in your world file and attempt to
67 update every time you do an emerge -whatever world.
68
69 And you might also consider adding -doc to /etc/make.conf, as noted
70 previously.
73 > Something new that didn't show up last time. My new package.use:
76 >> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources -doc sys-kernel/vanilla-sources -doc
79 That should solve that, then.
80
81 >> Great. No more need to deal with that atm, then.
82 >
83 > What about the broke stuff?
84
85 According to your last output:
86
87 >> root@smoker / # revdep-rebuild
88 >>
89 >> Checking reverse dependencies... Packages containing binaries and
90 >> libraries broken by any package update, will be recompiled.
91 >>
92 >> Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
93 >> (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)
94 >>
95 >> Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
96 >> (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)
97 >>
98 >> Checking dynamic linking consistency... broken /usr/lib/gaim/tcl.so
99 >> (requires libtcl8.3.so libtk8.3.so) broken
100 >> /usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.0.so.1.5.9 (requires libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken
101 >> /usr/lib/libgdkmm-2.0.so.1.5.9 (requires libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken
102 >> /usr/lib/libpangomm-1.0.so.1.5.9 (requires libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken
103 >> /usr/lib/libglibmm-2.0.so.1.5.9 (requires libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken
104 >> /usr/lib/libatkmm-1.0.so.1.5.9 (requires libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken
105 >> /usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so (requires libtk8.3.so
106 >> libtcl8.3.so) broken
107 >> /usr/lib/libgtkmm_generate_extra_defs-2.0.so.1.5.9 (requires
108 >> libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken /usr/bin/icewm-session (requires
109 >> libungif.so.4) broken /usr/bin/icewm (requires libungif.so.4)
110 >> broken /usr/bin/gnome-panel-properties-capplet (requires
111 >> libcapplet.so.0) broken /usr/bin/icewmtray (requires libungif.so.4)
112 >> broken /usr/bin/icehelp (requires libungif.so.4) broken
113 >> /usr/bin/icewmbg (requires libungif.so.4) broken
114 >> /usr/X11R6/lib/gaim/tcl.so (requires libtcl8.3.so libtk8.3.so)
115 >> broken /usr/X11R6/lib/libgtkmm-2.0.so.1.5.9 (requires
116 >> libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken /usr/X11R6/lib/libgdkmm-2.0.so.1.5.9
117 >> (requires libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken
118 >> /usr/X11R6/lib/libpangomm-1.0.so.1.5.9 (requires libsigc-1.2.so.5)
119 >> broken /usr/X11R6/lib/libglibmm-2.0.so.1.5.9 (requires
120 >> libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken /usr/X11R6/lib/libatkmm-1.0.so.1.5.9
121 >> (requires libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken
122 >> /usr/X11R6/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so (requires
123 >> libtk8.3.so libtcl8.3.so) broken
124 >> /usr/X11R6/lib/libgtkmm_generate_extra_defs-2.0.so.1.5.9 (requires
125 >> libsigc-1.2.so.5) broken /usr/X11R6/bin/icewm-session (requires
126 >> libungif.so.4) broken /usr/X11R6/bin/icewm (requires libungif.so.4)
127 >> broken /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-panel-properties-capplet (requires
128 >> libcapplet.so.0) broken /usr/X11R6/bin/icewmtray (requires
129 >> libungif.so.4) broken /usr/X11R6/bin/icehelp (requires
130 >> libungif.so.4) broken /usr/X11R6/bin/icewmbg (requires
131 >> libungif.so.4) done. (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)
132 >>
133 >> Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
134 >> (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)
135 >>
136 >> Evaluating package order... done. (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)
137 >>
138 >> Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
139
140 "Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done." means that
141 nothing needs rebuilding, in the opinion of revdep-rebuild (meaning no
142 libraries are disconnected from the programs that depend on them).
143
144 By the way, what version of gentoolkit do you have installed? If the
145 last stable (0.2.0-r2), you might very well want to consider unmasking
146 the unstable version for this package only -- add
147 "app-portage/gentoolkit ~x86" to /etc/portage/package.keywords-- as
148 revdep-rebuild is vastly improved (though still not perfect) in the most
149 recent unstable version.
150
151 It is within the realm of possiblility that your version of
152 revdep-rebuild is less trustworthy than mine (I use the unstable
153 version), so the reason why you're receiving untrustworthy reports, and
154 I'm saying the application is trustworthy despite this is because my
155 version *is* reasonably trustworthy and yours is not (which would make
156 all of the following completely incorrect).
157
158 I understand that all those "brokens" seem like they should be of
159 concern, but the important thing is that *revdep-rebuild is not offering
160 to rebuild anything*. What I suspect has happened is that you have
161 changed your USE flags and possibly run revdep-rebuild based on a
162 revdep-rebuild -p that you had done prior to changing your USE flags.
163
164 I say this because I notice that gaim and python both have the tcltk USE
165 flag available; they must have been compiled at least once with this
166 flag active for them to require libtk8.3.so and libtcl8.3.so, but now,
167 even though these libraries are broken, gaim and python are not offered
168 to be rebuilt-- therefore the optional dependency on these libraries
169 must have been removed in the meantime. This could occur if you had run
170 revdep-rebuild -p (which makes a list of the proposed rebuilds based on
171 the system at that moment), changed your USE flages, removing "tcltk",
172 then re-emerged gaim and python during the course of a emerge --newuse
173 world, and then run revdep-rebuild without the -p (which reads the list
174 created from the previous --pretend run rather than re-evaluating the
175 system).
176
177 All the broken gnome libs depending on libsigc++ (which is where
178 libsigc-1.2.so.5 comes from) seem to be deep dependencies (no packages
179 are offered to be fixed related to them); since you appear to be a KDE
180 user, the only way I see for these libraries to be on your system is
181 that they were optional dependencies emerged via the +gnome USE flag
182 (since the direct dependencies for these libraries are not being
183 mentioned as broken, or offered to rebuild). Perhaps this USE flag has
184 also been disabled and the applications previously using it rebuilt.
185
186 The icewm applications depending on libungif are also not offered to
187 rebuild, although they are broken w.r.t the libraries, which suggests
188 that icewm is not in your world file, but is a dependency or deep
189 dependency of something that is.
190
191 But what's interesting is that icewm does not depend on libungif, but
192 giflib, which is apparently not broken, and certainly not broken w.r.t
193 icewm.
194
195 So what it looks like to me is that your system is very sloppy at the
196 moment, but nothing in fact is broken by some miracle of fate, which is
197 why revdep-rebuild put out all this output, but offered to fix nothing.
198
199 Or it's a gigantic bug. but if that was the case, you would likely have
200 noticed; you would have rather a wide range of programs and DE/WMs that
201 would not start, such as GNOME, IceWM, and Gaim, which I think you would
202 have reported if it had happened.
203
204 So I think that revdep-rebuild is telling the truth, and although many
205 things are bent, nothing is broken and nothing in fact needs rebuilding.
206
207 I would consider an
208
209 emerge depclean -p (do *not* forget the "-p"!!!)
210
211 to begin the process of getting rid of some of these apparently
212 no-longer needed packages and libraries.
213
214 *Absolutely* look at the list and make sure nothing essential is
215 suggested to unmerge before attempting an emerge depclean without
216 --pretend!!!!
220 >> *Will* you stop trying to get authorization for emerge -e at every
221 >> opportunity!!!??? :-)
224 > Well, that was the command I was given and copy and paste works. I'm
225 > a bad typer remember. I copy and paste all I can. It's safer.
228 That's the command you were given *when*? About the only time you are
229 "given" that command is when you first install the system.
230
231 Emerge --emptytree rebuilds every package in the system, as if nothing
232 was installed at all (as if the "tree" was "empty"). Now I don't know
233 how long it took you to emerge your system, but personally, I have no
234 particular desire to emerge gcc and glibc and X and KDE and Mozilla and
235 every single other package on my system all over again, since each one
236 of those named packages takes at least two hours (some significantly
237 more, like glibc and X, not to mention something like KDE) to emerge by
238 itself, so emerging everything would probably take closer to 24 to 36
239 hours than like....10 to 18 (which is still a da*m long time, btw) . And
240 that's assuming everything went perfectly, which it often doesn't.
241
242 The point is, emerge -e "should" only be used in the very most extreme
243 of emergencies; it's a pretty desperate measure, not to be taken
244 lightly, and very very rarely necessary.
247 >> It's really not necessary. And you're getting yourself all worked
248 >> up over a relatively minor issue (or in fact a couple of them).
251 > I'm not all worked up here. I'm ROTFLMAO though. LOL I'm OK as
252 > long as I can figure it out OR get help fixing it.
253
254 I'm not clear what, at this point, you're trying to fix. The original
255 issue, revdep-rebuild, is solved, insofar as revdep-rebuild has
256 completed with no re-emerges necessary, and the xmlto thing should now
257 be solved as well.
258
259 If something of substance remains, perhaps you should start another thread.
260
261 If you're just upset about the revdep-rebuild output with no offers to
262 re-emerge, I wouldn't worry about that (in the sense of thinking there's
263 a 'problem' as opposed to an annoyance).
264
265 Revdep-rebuild may not be perfect, but if something was actively broken,
266 it would catch that. I would trust that if it says nothing needs to be
267 re-emerged, then nothing needs to be re-emerged.
271 >> Basically, you seem to be upset because Portage is having a fit
272 >> when you try to update world. Not because a program is broken, or
273 >> because you can't do some specific task (because a program is
274 >> broken). If that is a correct assessment of the situation, then
275 >> have some perspective.
278 > I'm not mad at portage. I love portage. I still remember Mandrake.
279 > I'll never forget that mess. At least with this, it can be fixed
280 > without a re-install.
281
282 No, I think you're missing my point. My point was that if the only
283 problem with your system is that you have some anomalies when you do an
284 emerge -whatever world or revdep-rebuild, but all the applications you
285 use work, and you can in fact use your system for what you use it for,
286 you don't have a problem, /per se/, you have a minor annoyance. If you
287 didn't update world (which is not necessary), you would never notice a thing
288 (presumably, correct me if I'm wrong).
289
290 I'm certainly not saying that we don't fix minor annoyances here (we
291 most assuredly do), but there's no need to treat it like The End of The
292 World (which is about the only case in which you might care to
293 reinstall/emerge -e world).
294
295 Portage constantly up/downgrading giflib/libungif, or even refusing to
296 install one of them, is far from such a state, unless the issue
297 breaks.... (I dunno) Evolution, which you need to communicate with your
298 clients at work, for example. Being unable to use Evolution if you need
299 it is a problem. Portage being annoying is... just annoying.
303 >> You don't have to update world every day, or even every month. So
304 >> don't. If things work OK for what you need them to do, then the
305 >> fact that you can't update easily right now is *not a problem*.
306 >> Certainly not one needing a reinstall of the entire system.
311 > I do mine each night because I'm on dial-up and it is easier to get
312 > little tidbits than to wait until there is a new KDE and Open Office
313 > at the same time. o_O It takes me about three days to get just Open
314 > Office so I like to nibble on it a bit.
315
316 Again, do you really *need* to be on the cutting edge every minute of
317 the day? Especially when on dial-up? What good does the new version of
318 KDE and Oo.o do for you that you have to upgrade every day? And you
319 might also consider alternatives-- smaller alternatives-- like abiword
320 or kwrite.
321
322 Heck, you might consider using icewm or xfce (or openbox or Windowmaker
323 or fvwm) instead of KDE.
324
325 It's not that I'm telling you what to do, but you seem to be living
326 outside your means, practically speaking. If you're on dial-up and you
327 really can't afford (either in terms of time or money) the cost of the
328 huge downloads that KDE and Oo.o entail, then you don't *have* to use
329 them, you know. KDE is modular; you can use xfce and a selection of KDE
330 programs-- just the ones you need. You don't really *need* konqueror,
331 for example, since you use Mozilla for web browsing, and there are tons
332 of other file managers for the file management part (xfce itself has
333 one, but I like Krusader, despite it being a KDE program when I don't
334 use KDE). Heck, you can use mc in a terminal (midnight commander is
335 quite good, actually). And then you wouldn't have to download or compile
336 konqueror anymore.
337
338 If your means are limited (in terms of bandwidth), then it is well worth
339 your time to consider how to maximize the effectiveness of what you
340 spend that bandwidth on. Gentoo is about choice, but choice requires
341 flexibility, and if you *can't* do everything you want (because you
342 flatly don't have the bandwidth), then flexibility is a key skill to
343 develop (how to get the most of what you want with the minimum of outlay).
346 >> If something specific is broken due to the gif/libungif issue, then
347 >> tell us what that is. It may be that gif/libungif needs to be
348 >> sorted out to fix whatever is broken, but we can cross that bridge
349 >> when we come to it.
352 > I'm not sure if anything is broke or not. It was a block thing that
353 > I thought may be messing up revdep-rebuild since it was complaining
354 > about it. Everything seems to be working OK.
355
356 Revdep-rebuild wasn't able to perform its suggested actions because of
357 the block, but there are no more suggested actions, so everything is
358 fine as far as that goes-- nothing is broke.
361 >> It's really not a big deal. Relax.
364 > I re-emerged vanilla-sources, it had the -doc on it too. Now I get
365 > this:
368 >> root@smoker / # emerge -uDNptv world
369 >>
370 >> These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
371 >>
372 >> Calculating world dependencies ...done!
373 >>
374 >> Total size of downloads: 0 kB root@smoker / #
377 Fine, problem solved. :-D
381 > Just for the heck of it, I'm doing a emerge -ev world. Just to be
382 > sure. I'll skip Open Office though. It won't take to long.
383
384 Famous last words. Good luck.
388 > My only question is about those broken things in revdep-rebuild. I
389 > guess the emerge -ev world will deal with that though, right?
390
391 *THERE ARE NO BROKEN THINGS IN REVDEP-REBUILD.*
392
393 Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
394
395 means that nothing is broken! It's just bent, and that could be due to
396 user inexperience; if you ran revdep-rebuild -p after a depclean and/or
397 after an emerge -uaDNv world, you might find even those 'bent' reports
398 disappeared.
399
400 And even if something did come up as needing re-emerging, it would
401 *only* mean that one or more individual programs were linked against a
402 missing or updated library, so those individual programs would not work
403 until the linkage was fixed.
404
405 Just because you put a single book away out of alphabetical order when
406 at the public library, and the next person wanting it couldn't find it
407 (because
408 it's in the wrong place) wouldn't mean that the entire library building
409 needed to be demolished and rebuilt!
410
411 That's essentially what you're doing, with your emerge -e world.
412
413 As I said, good luck.
414
415 Holly