From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard disk doesn't mount on boot
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:02:04
1 On Thursday 20 March 2008, Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > Right, so I have an external USB hard drive always hooked up to my
3 > machine. I've a listing in /etc/fstab to mount it at boot.
4 > Unfortunately, the drive does not boot because localmount can't find
5 > /dev/sda1. Now, after the boot process I can find /dev/sda1 and
6 > mount the drive just fine, leading me to believe that localmount
7 > tries to mount the drive without populating /dev with USB devices.
8 >
9 > How could I resolve this?
10
11 The canonical way is of course to use udev to run a mount script as soon
12 as the usb drive's device is created. This is hard and requires much
13 googling.
14
15 The hackish, kludgy, totally not recommended method that always works is
16 to put a call to 'mount -a' in /etc/local.d/local.start
17
18 :-)
22 Alan McKinnon
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com