From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] links that behave differently per calling app?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 04:37:36
1 hi - is it possible to have some kind of fancy links that
2 know the name of the process that is trying to access
3 it, and based on its name, it links it to a file?
4
5 e.g. `ln -s X Y` will create link Y that always refers to
6 X whenever anyone tries to access Y. but is it possible
7 to have a fancier linking that creates a linking file that
8 contains some kind of access list, that specifies things
9 like:
10
11 - if accessing process is named P1, then direct it to X1.
12 - if accessing process is named P2, then direct it to X2.
13 - ...
14 - if accessing process is named Pn, then direct it to Xn.
15 - else, default to X0.
16
17 i think if we have this, we can solve slotting in a simpler
18 way. e.g. we install libs in their own non-conflicting
19 locations, and then install for them such fancy sym links
20 with access that routes accessing processes to the right
21 version of the lib.
22
23 thoughts?
24