From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VPN?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:36:25
1 On Saturday 27 August 2005 04:12, Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
2 > OK I have read the vpn howto, and tunneling from the howto, and to be
3 > truthfull i am totally over my head.
4
5 http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-x509.php
6
7 As long as the server has a static address, you'll be fine.
8 Doesn't even matter if it's your laptop initiating the connection from a
9 private IP behind your cable modem. Problems are likely to come up if your
10 private IP is in the same range as the private IPs at the other end, in which
11 case you'll probably be needing to get a DHCP lease from the remote end
12 (something I've not done, or even tried to do yet...)
13
14 Basically, the server has a connection defined which specifies it's
15 certificate, and is left open ended so anyone can connect to it. But, because
16 it's got a certificate only remote hosts which provide a certificate signed
17 by the same CA will be allowed.
18
19 --
20 Mike Williams