From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] undelete files and dirs on ext3 partition
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:01:32
1 Uwe Thiem writes:
2
3 > On Friday 15 February 2008, pat wrote:
4 > > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:41:28 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
5 > >
6 > > > Neil, you are a master of understatement :-)
7 > > >
8 > > > pat, it might be possible to get some stuff back, IF he remounted
9 > > > ro immediately and IF not much writing to the disk happened in
10 > > > the meantime.
11 > > >
12 > > > However, by the time you are done it is usually not worth the
13 > > > effort it took. It's easier to reinstall and restore backups. But
14 > > > if there are some irreplaceable files on that disk, you have no
15 > > > choice. good luck to him.
16 > >
17 > > There's a home directory ... .
18 >
19 > What do you mean, Pat? /home still exists and is populated?
20
21 I think he means there _was_ a /home directory.
22
23 I'd mout ro, and backup all files that are still there. photorec will find lots of files, but only as single files, without the directory structure. See <http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File_Formats_Recovered_By_PhotoRec> for a list of supported file types.
24
25 There are undelete tools for ext2, but I heard they should not work with ext3, because it zeros out things instead of just marking them as deleted as it was in ext2. However, I also heard that someone had success with midnight commander, which has an undelete feature (F9, Commands menu).
26
27 I did not try it, but this tool sounds promising:
28 http://freshmeat.net/projects/giis
29
30 giis (gET iT i sAY) is a file recovery tool for Ext2/Ext3 filesystems. Once installed, current files and newly created files can be recovered. It allows users to recover all deleted files, recover files owned by a specific user, dump data from old file locations, and recover files of a specific type, such as text or PNG. A forensic analyzer is also provided to assist users during recovery.
31
32 Good luck,
33 Wonko