From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing compilers
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:18:11
1 Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:
4 > Has anyone played around with the various "better known"
5 > compilers on Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel,
6 > llvm, pathscale. My situation is that I've just started my PhD which
7 > requires me to do Finite Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational
8 > Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and I want to find the "best" compiler for the
9 > job. Before anyone says "Why bother, XXX compiler is only 1 - 2%
10 > faster than gcc", in the context of the work I'm doing this 1 - 2% IS
11 > important.
14 "Octave" is in portage, as it is a matlab sorta package for
15 fluids.
16
17 google for
18
19 Octave : Computational Fluid Dynamics : Finite Element Analysis
20
21 for starters.
22
23 I understand you are smart, but why push the issues on compiler
24 efficiency, if you are not willing to hack the compiler code?
25
26 Why not push the mathematical envelop and use:
27 Sparse Matrix Techniques ??????????????????????
28
29 http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/matrices/
30
31 http://blogs.mathworks.com/loren/2007/03/01/
32 creating-sparse-finite-element-matrices-in-matlab/
35 hth,
36
37 James