From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where did lvm installation guide go?
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 14:18:51
1 On Fri, Aug 30 2013, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 30/08/2013 17:18, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Aug 30 2013, J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
7 >>>> I want to reinstall an old system to have combined root+usr.
8 >>>>
9 >>>> I have always used an lvm installation guide that was a "companion" to
10 >>>> the handbook. That is it would tell you how to augment each handbook
11 >>>> installation chapter for lvm (actually lvm2).
12 >>>>
13 >>>> I can't find this documentation now on gentoo.org. There is a big wiki
14 >>>> page, but that is different as are daniel's 2-volume "learning linux
15 >>>> lvm".
16 >>>>
17 >>>> thanks,
18 >>>> allan
19 >>>
20 >>> Allan,
21 >>>
22 >>> Use the raid+LVM guide and skip all the raid steps.
23 >>>
24 >>> --
25 >>> Joost
26 >>
27 >> Yes, that is what I will be doing; but it is not the same as the "companion"
28 >> and hence less familiar to me. Also the wiki certainly does help.
29 >> I haven't studied the raid+LVM closely yet but a quick look didn't
30 >> reveal how to interrupt the installation, shut off the machine, and
31 >> continue later.
32 >
33 > the only difference is activating your LVs just before you need to mount
34 > them (before doing the chroot):
35 >
36 > vgchange -a y
37 >
38 > everything else stays the same. Instead of mounting /dev/sdxy at
39 > /mnt/gentoo/..., you will mount /dev/mapper/${LV}
40
41 Thank you alan and joost.
42 I actually remembered -a y or -a -y and a search of the lvm commands
43 yielded vgchange. But your replies definitely increased my confidence
44
45 allan