From: Lex Luthor <person9013@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Skype
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 18:14:13
1 Yeah, MS can have some pretty malicious practices. When they acquired Skype
2 they *removed* the E2E encryption.
3
4 On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 12:02 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Hello,
9 > On Monday, November 27, 2017, Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku <
10 > jigme.datse@×××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
11 > > Is Skype "largely unusable" on Gentoo? It feels like about 3 days ago I
12 > > was forced to upgrade because "this version is no longer supported" and
13 > > to upgrade I had to keyword the latest version. If this keeps
14 > > happening, to me, this is broken. And I'm not sure if the problem is
15 > > that we are so far behind, that when Microsoft removes support we only
16 > > just barely meet the requirements, or if there is something I am missing.
17 > >
18 > > I *do* like to keep my computer updated, but unless I misunderstand (and
19 > > it seems that Gentoo has changed a lot since I started using it about
20 > > 15-20 years ago (I think)) stable is the recommended way to run the
21 > > system unless you want to go into "here be pesky programmes" territory.
22 > > When I started, even "stable" was a lot more work than previously used
23 > > distributions, but with Gentoo, I've always felt that with Gentoo, while
24 > > doing "basic stuff" can be more difficult, other distributions have
25 > > always been "if it doesn't work out of the box, it's probably not that
26 > > worth trying to figure it out."
27 > >
28 > > I still feel that getting things working in Gentoo is always "a bit of
29 > > work" and if it "doesn't just work" it often still can be done without a
30 > > whole lot more work. But having to upgrade in a "manual way" on
31 > > approximately a weekly basis just to have functionality tells me that
32 > > something is badly broken (and I don't feel it is Gentoo in this case,
33 > > but I need to have some better understanding).
34 > >
35 > > I know, that when I was trying to figure out just "what was supported" I
36 > > actually wasn't getting good information...
39 > If it is keyworded it is "supported" unless you are using very niche
40 > software. This does not mean anyone will be able to help you fix things
41 > quickly.
42 >
43 > Unstable packages typically run well. I routinely fix issues by using
44 > unstable or even unkeyworded packages over the stable versions. Most issues
45 > arise when stable and unstable packages interact, usually due to breaking
46 > interface changes. So, paradoxically, an unstable (or testing) system can
47 > be more stable than a stable system.
48 >
49 > If you fix an issue by using an unstable package you can request
50 > stabilization. Sometimes people forget to do it. For a package like Skype,
51 > though, I suspect it will be stabilized as soon as possible.
52 >
53 > Cheers,
54 > R0b0t1