From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] app-misc/ca-certificates
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 05:15:24
1 On 1/6/21 12:45 pm, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Saturday, May 29, 2021 8:26:57 AM CEST Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 03:08:39AM +0200, zcampe@×××××.com wrote
4 >>
5 >>> 125 config files in /etc/ssl/certs needs update.
6 >>>
7 >>> For certificates I would expect the old and invalid ones to be replaced
8 >>> by newer ones without user intervention.
9 >> Looking through them is "interesting". There seem to be a lot of
10 >> /etc/ssl/certs/????????.0 files, where "?" is either a random number or
11 >> a lower case letter. These all seem to be symlinks to
12 >> /etc/ssl/certs/<Some_Name>.pem. Each of those files is in turn a
13 >> symlink to /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/<Some_Name>.crt. How much
14 >> do we trust China? There are a couple of certificates in there named
15 >> /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Hongkong_Post_Root_CA_1.crt and
16 >> /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Hongkong_Post_Root_CA_3.crt. Any
17 >> other suspicious regimes in there?
18 > I've always wondered about the amount of CAs that are auto-trusted on any
19 > system. Including several from countries with serious human rights issues.
20 >
21 > I could do with a tool where I can easily select which CAs to trust based on
22 > country.
23 >
24 > --
25 > Joost
28 And another "wondering" - all the warnings about trusting self signed
29 certs seem a bit self serving. Yes, they are trying to certify who you
30 are, but at the expense of probably allowing access to your
31 communications by "authorised parties" (such as commercial entities
32 purchasing access for MITM access - e.g. certain router/firewall
33 companies doing deep inspection of SSL via resigning or owning both end
34 points). If its only your own communications and not with a third,
35 commercial party self signed seems a lot more secure.
36
37 Getting a bit OT, but interesting none the less.
38
39 BillK
40
41 Ref: