From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS problem
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 11:02:06
1 On Monday, 30 December 2019 19:18:47 GMT Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 2019-12-30 09:04, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Is anyone feeling less clueless than me? I'm out of ideas now and hoping
4 > > for some help.
5 >
6 > I set up a new NFS server in the last weeks or so and had this weird
7 > problem where I couldn't most an NFSv4 export on clients.
8 >
9 > After a lot of head scratching, I discovered two things:
10 >
11 > 1. On the NFS server, only NFS server 4.0 support was needed
12 > 2. On all NFS clients, including the NFS server which mounted other NFS
13 > mounts, all NFS client options had to be selected or the mount would
14 > fail. It didn't matter specifying nfsvers=4.0 as a mount option, it
15 > failed if there was no NFS client kernel support for 4.1/4.2.
16 >
17 > I don't know why, I just figured that it was something to do with the
18 > new kernels (running 5.4.x.)
19
20 Hmm. On my NFS server box, only version 4 was available in the server setup;
21 no options for 4.x. I tried removing v4 client support, since I don't expect
22 to use it, and separately I tried adding 4.1 and 4.2 support on the client.
23 Neither of those helped: the client still insists that the exported
24 directories don't exist, even though I can see them.
25
26 Thanks for the idea though.
29 Regards,
30 Peter.