From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] any mythtv/set top box experts?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 22:23:36
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've recently started to set up a mythtv box for my parents. I've found
4 a USB DVB-T receiver which works perfectly and I've got the system up
5 and running on some old hardware.
6
7 Now I've been tasked with finding something small that can sit by their
8 TV and do it all. I've been looking at MiniITX machines with the nVidia
9 ION chipset that support 720/1080 HD playback and HDMI outputs.
10
11 My questions are concerning the digital output and remote controls. I've
12 only ever used HDMI/digital output on windows and it confuses me then.
13 Is there some added complexity to getting the HDMI output working
14 (including audio) with a TV? Is there anything to look out for as far as
15 compatibiliy goes?
16
17 And remote controls, the USB DVB-T unit comes with its own remote and
18 pretty much works out of the box even on linux. At least it works for
19 the basic up/down/left/right/enter, I really don't know enough to get
20 any more out of it.
21
22 The MiniITX bundle I'm looking at comes with a remote designed for media
23 centres and looks to be a million times nicer than the one from the
24 receiver, but is there going to be a lot of trouble getting it working
25 with Lirc? I only know a teeny tiny bit about Lirc, I don't know what
26 driver this remote will use so I don't know if there's likely to be any
27 compatibility issue.
28
29 As you can tell I'm not very hot on this stuff, so any
30 tips/help/suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd especially
31 appreciate if anyone could point to some known-good hardware for this
32 purpose.
33
34 Thanks
35