From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fsck won't work if ac cord not attached?!
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:41:48
1 On Monday 30 November 2009 18:09:07 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > aarrrgh!! I'm the one with the netbook!! The default didn't work.
3 > Checking fs every boot does. Extra reboot time amounts to a few secs
4 > vs not booting at all, dammit!
5
6 You are missing the point. That behaviour is wrong and I cannot overstate that
7 enough.
8
9 If your system requires an fsck at every boot to even reboot at all, then
10 there is something badly wrong with your filesystem. Enabling an fsck at every
11 boot for ext2 is merely working around the problem at another level and not
12 addressing the actual problem.
13
14 So please stop arguing with people who are trying to help you and instead find
15 out why your system is exhibiting incorrect behaviour. My first guess is that
16 the filesystem is not being correctly unmounted at shutdown and is therefore
17 marked as dirty at next startup. Ext2 does require an fsck under those
18 circumstances as the chances of data corruption are vastly increased - the
19 assumption being that power to the machine was probably removed abruptly.
20 There could be many reasons for this and you will have to investigate your
21 shutdown process carefully.
22
23 Do you disagree with my logic as stated above?