From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:26:25
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>
6 > <SNIP>
7 >
8 >>> Hold on there. SATA and eSATA connectors are definitely different. If
9 >>> your case came with a cable hooked to the eSATA connector then that
10 >>> cable is taking care of the difference already. Try plugging an
11 >>> internal SATA cable into the eSATA connector on your case. You'll find
12 >>> out pretty quickly that they don't work.
13 >>>
14 >>> A proper eSATA connector doesn't have the 'L'. It has small flanges
15 >>> that stick out to the sides. (Or mine do anyway!!)
16 >>>
17 >>> No reason to be scared of eSATA hotplugging. Works fine and it's
18 >>> designed to be robust.
19 >>> - Mark
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >> That's the thing, ALL the SATA connectors are the same. They are the same
24 >> color, same shape and all. They are all identical just turned in different
25 >> ways for some reason. If you want, you can look for yourself. Here is a
26 >> link to the mobo.
27 >>
28 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128431
31 > No, I totally believe you, but that's not the issue.
32 >
33 > The connectors on the motherboard are ALWAYS internal connectors so
34 > that you can use all of them with internal disk drives, etc. using
35 > internal cables.
36 >
37 > The eSATA connector is, however, different. You can see it in the link
38 > I sent earlier, copied here:
39 >
40 > http://www.serialata.org/technology/esata.asp
41 >
42 > There is a _special_ SATA-to-eSATA assembly to make the conversion. If
43 > your case has a cable built into the case and already hooked up to the
44 > eSATA connector then it will have an internal SATA connector on the
45 > cable. However if you look at the eSATA connector itself, on the
46 > outside of the case, it will look like the one in the picture on the
47 > above link. More below...
50 >> If you click on the image, it will load up a new page and you can zoom in
51 >> and take a really close look. As I said, this is a mobo that came out in
52 >> about 2009 according to what I have read. This may not work on old mobos
53 >> that don't have this connector.
54 >>
55 >> I would assume that since this connector is a eSATA type, that it is hot
56 >> pluggable like the manual says. After all, if it says it is in the manual,
57 >> they have to stand behind it if someone plugs up the wrong thing.
58 >>
59 >> I used plain SATA cables to hook all my drives up. I don't have a eSATA
60 >> cable that I know of. I ordered a couple cables when I ordered my parts to
61 >> build this rig and I have used them. They plug into the mobo just fine.
62 >> Here is a link to it:
63 >>
64 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816032
65 >>
66 >> According to that page, it is hot pluggable but no mention of being a eSATA
67 >> cable.
70 > Your cables are perfect for internal drives. Keep in mind that the
71 > internal connectors are only spec'ed for 50 insertions in their
72 > lifetime. They aren't made to be messed with very much. eSATA
73 > connectors are spec'ed for (IIRC) 6000 insertions.
74 >
75 > Here is an example of an eSATA bracket if your motherboard or case
76 > didn't come with one. It has an internal SATA connector on one end
77 > which you plug into your motherboard. It has an eSATA connector on the
78 > bracket.
79 >
80 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816069&cm_re=esata_bracket-_-12-816-069-_-Product
81 >
82 > That one would use a back panel slot but essentially steals a PCI slot.
83 >
84 > Again, I think you've done everything perfectly as far as I can tell.
85 > I only got involved in the thread at all because (IMO) incorrect info
86 > was being tossed around about eSATA, SATA and hotplugging. If you're
87 > not going to use eSATA then none of this matters to you today. In my
88 > case I had to learn this because not all internal SATA ports on my
89 > Intel MB were eSATA compatible and I needed to do it the right way.
90 >
91 > Cheers buddy,
92 > Mark
96 OK. I'm not going to argue the point. All I know is this, the cable
97 that came with the case will plug into any SATA connector on my mobo.
98 There is nothing marking a eSATA port on there.
99
100 Dale
101