From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Domain name registration
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:24:19
1 On Sunday 26 April 2009 10:05:56 Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > > Are there any other choices using Gentoo, other than
3 > > DJBDNS or bind-9 ? Thoughts?
4 >
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > You might want to take a look at net-dns/maradns [1].
8 > Lightweight, easy to configure, advertised as fastest and most secure.
9 > I personally love the feature/extension "FQDN4 record" which allows one
10 > to automatically set reverse resolving.
11 >
12 > [1] http://www.maradns.org/
13
14 I've never heard of maradns, but there's always some clown around claiming to
15 be the "biggest, bestest, fastest, moreest". YMMV. "zero exploits discovered"
16 can also be due to nobody has bothered to examine the source code....
17
18 djbdns and bind are OK for what James is looking at - they are well known,
19 easy to set up with plenty of folks around who can assist with issues. bind is
20 well-maintained too.
21
22 Just don't try run an auth server and a cache on the same server. That's a BAD
23 idea. Rather run your own auth server, secondary to a DNS provider of your
24 choice and use your ISPs cache servers for your caching needs (i.e. there's no
25 good reason to be doing this for yourself)
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com