From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sharing portage directories when dual booting x86 and amd64
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 03:16:56
1 On 5/24/07, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 24 May 2007 17:51:09 -0400, Mark Shields wrote:
4 >
5 > > You can probably share all of them, but just realize the distfiles for
6 > > x86 won't be usable for amd64 and vice-versa (unless you're going to
7 > > use an x86 distfile on the amd64 because there isn't an amd64 version
8 > > available).
9 >
10 > Of course they will, because they contains source code. Of course,
11 > sometimes there will be different versions of a package marked stable in
12 > x86 and amd64, and some patch files are arch-specific, but generally most
13 > packages use the same source files whatever the architecture. I use a
14 > shared $DISTDIR for x86, ~x86, ~amd64 and ~ppc systems.
17 > --
18 > Neil Bothwick
19 >
20 > Do hungry crows have ravenous appetites?
24 Yeah, you're right. Now that I re-read it, I realized I was thinking, for
25 some odd reason, that he was talking about the kernel.
26 --
27 - Mark Shields