From: Pawel Kraszewski <Gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting from Install cd
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:58:30
1 Dnia wtorek, 31 pa¼dziernika 2006 11:14, Arnau Bria napisa³:
2
3 > > I am sorry for such a newbie question but I really wane start
4 > > learning more about linux and use gentoo on my desktop computer.
5 > >
6 > > Now I've burned both pcc and pcc64 to two cd's but when rebooting it
7 > > just boots back into my old system which were Mandriva 2006 with Lilo
8
9 > Try ia64.
10
11 Yes, if those 2 CPUs Kyle mentioned are Itanium processors - I doubt. I guess
12 these are EM64T processors in which case the correct setting is somewhat
13 misleading AMD64 .
14
15 In case of EM64T, the system setting can be built upon this setting
16 (in /etc/make.conf):
17
18 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
19 CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
20 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
21
22 The NOCONA setting is crucial, as Intel is slightly different from AMD.
23
24 Also, look at your /proc/cpuinfo , flags section. Than set appropriate USE
25 flags according to this table:
26
27 CPU flag | set this
28 present | USE flag
29 -----------+---------
30 mmx | mmx
31 sse | sse
32 sse2 | sse2
33 pni | sse3 *
34 mmxext | mmxext
35 3dnowext **| 3dnowext
36 3dnow **| 3dnow
37
38 * No ebuild seems to use sse3 flag (yet)
39 ** Well, 3dnow is for AMD/AMD64, put here just for reference
40
41 See also at http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags .
45 Pawel Kraszewski
46 www.kraszewscy.net