From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE=X
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:30:25
1 On 27/01/2015 20:54, James wrote:
2 > Howdy,
5 > So I was reading PGO (Planet.Gentoo.org) and Patrick's post
6 > got thinking. Yep, X was set in make.conf, like I have done
7 > for a very long time on any gentoo "workstation". Now it may be
8 > time to rethink this flag. The gist of what I understand is that
9 > X is set, per profile, if appropriate. On my workstations I usually
10 > just set the minimimum profile (architecture) like so:
11 >
12 > # eselect profile list
13 >
14 > [1] default/linux/amd64/13.0 *
17 > On so I run lxde and I experiment with lxqt as the desktop.
18 >
19 > In light of Patricks post on PGO, do I have to now bump up
20 > the profile to
21 >
22 > [3] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop
25 > What if I'm building a hardened base lxde (lxqt) workstation
26 >
27 > set the profile to
28 > [19] hardened/linux/amd64
29 >
30 > and unset X in the make.conf file?
31 >
32 > # euse -i X
33 >
34 > This list does not look like I need to set X any more in make.conf?
37 > A side note: it had this line in the output:
38 >
39 > dev-java/icedtea: Make X buildtime-only depenency.
40 > !!! Metadata cache not found. You need to run
41 > !!! 'egencache --repo=java --update'
42 > !!! to generate metadata for your overlays
45 > Very cool that portage picked up this need by "euse -i X".
46 >
47 > All input is welcome,
50 There's nothing magic about a profile. All it does is set a bunch of
51 variables and possibly specify some extra apps to be merged. It's a
52 convenience, and there's nothing to stop you from finding out what those
53 variables are and adding them to USE yourself, and adding the packages
54 to world yourself.
55
56 You can continue to do things exactly as you always did, and nothing
57 will break or change. Nothing forces you to use a desktop profile.
58 Personally I use a desktop profile and also have X in USE - I like to be
59 explicit with my stuff. I know that one of those config setting is
60 redundant :-)
61
62 The X USE flasg doe NOT mean "install xorg-x11". It means "build X11
63 support into apps that have optional support for X11". Example vim. The
64 flag adds xterm support so vim can modify the xterm titlebar. Without
65 USE=X you get plain old vim that runs in a shell as normal and doesn't
66 communicate with the gui system in any way.
67
68 The xorg-x11 package is pulled by you if you merge it, or by any WM/DE
69 you install which obviously requires X11[1].
70
71 For hardened, there is no hardened desktop profile. Apparently that was
72 a world of pain for the devs. Adding desktop software to a hardened
73 system is easy, hardening a desktop system is harder. So I'd say chose a
74 hardened profile, then add X to USE and merge your choice of WM/DE
77 Alan
80 [1] When wayland becomes a first-class Linux citizen, this will likely
81 change
85 Alan McKinnon
86 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com