From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] new machine : (1) which CPU ?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 07:27:10
1 I plan to build a new machine in the next few months:
2 it wb for regular desktop use, but performance is as important as price.
3
4 A quick look at what was available in April suggested
5 an Intel Ivy Bridge i7 ( 22 nm ) ; Phoronix said it works with Kernel 3.2
6 + an Intel Z77 mobo (I usually buy ASUS) & that power/watt was excellent.
7
8 However, I'm quite willing to look at AMD or consider waiting a bit
9 till something newer from Intel reaches the regular market.
10 My current box dates from 2007 & my stand-by from 2002 :
11 the former has an Intel Core2 Duo, the latter an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ .
12
13 I don't want to pay a premium price for a bleeding-edge device
14 which wb available at a more normal price a few months later.
15 I wb buying it from the local store (Canada Computers), not on-line.
16
17 Does anyone have thoughts or advice ?
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca