From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA_CARDS Variable in-kernel drivers?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:42:00
1 On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:59:21 +0100
2 Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > b.n. wrote:
5 > > Jakob Buchgraber ha scritto:
6 > >
7 > >> Hi!
8 > >>
9 > >> I just read about the required ALSA_CARDS variable when using
10 > >> in-kernel drivers in the Gentoo Newsletter. Since I am using
11 > >> in-kernel ALSA drivers I would like to know what changed and why
12 > >> this is required? Is this explained somewhere? I am using
13 > >> vanilla-sources (not gentoo-sources). So do I need to set
14 > >> ALSA_CARDS when using vanilla-sources too?
15 > >>
16 > >
17 > > The GWN seems clear:
18 > > "for users using the in-kernel drivers, they
19 > > should now properly set that variable"
20 > >
21 > > I think that the other alsa packages must be aware of it. Anyway I
22 > > think setting it shouldn't harm.
23 > >
24 > > m.
27 > Thank you for your reply!
28 >
29 > It's clear to me that setting the variable doesn't harm however I'd
30 > like to know why exactly. Does anybody have in-detail informations?
31 >
32 > Cheers,
33 > Jay
34 I use the kernel drivers exclusively, and never set ALSA_CARDS or
35 anything else for that matter. Emerge alsa-utils and turn up the
36 volume and it always works for me. Maybe there's a different reason
37 for ALSA_CARDS than I understand. I know the x11 "VIDEO_CARDS" setting
38 helps not only X, but other programs too, decide which hardware to
39 support. The same may be true of ALSA_CARDS. I would think though,
40 that this would be most important for people using the ALSA-supplied
41 drivers, as in-kernel drivers are selected at kernel configuration
42 time and alsa-provided drivers must use another way to specify which
43 sound hardware to support.
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list