From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looong delays
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:21:22
1 On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:10:30 -0500, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
2 wrote:
3 > On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 12:32:20PM +0100, Penguin Lover Jes??s Guerrero
4 > squawked:
5 >> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:22:38 +0200, Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> > This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at
7 work,
8 >> > Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of
9 disk
10 >> > access, the PC slows down to a halt?
11 >
12 >> > The application that is mostly involved when I get
13 >> > these long delays is FireFox, VMWare and emerge (emerge --sync).
14 >>
15 >> I know I am hitting at the obvious, but I can't be sure you already
16 >> checked that.
17 >>
18 >> Since the applications you are using can be quite intensive in memory
19 >> usage, did you check whether you are hitting swap or not?
20 >
21 > I realize that Firefox is a memory hog, but how many tabs must be open
22 > for Swap to hit severely on a machine with 4gb ram? :)
23
24 A lot. But even though it's possible to hog that system with firefox
25 alone, I wasn't thinking in that extreme case. I was more thinking along
26 the lines of wmware running a huge vm inside of it and I only meant firefox
27 and emerge as little Satan's helpers :D
28
29 > Question in general: emerge --sync and VMWare I can see, but why does
30 > FireFox require heavy disk access?
31
32 Well, that's why I ask if he's hitting swap. ANY app will require disk
33 access, even if not directly, if the ram is full. I have no idea if that's
34 the case though, I was just pointing at a possibility :)
35 --
36 Jesús Guerrero